Planatar fasciitis is an inflammation (irritation and swelling) of the thick tissue on the bottom of the foot that causes heel pain and disability. The plantar fascia is a very thick band of tissue that covers the bones on the bottom of the foot. This fascia can become inflamed and painful in some people, making walking more difficult. Some risk factors for development of this problem include foot arch problems (both flat foot and high arches), obesity, sudden weight gain, running and a tight Achilles tendon (the tendon connecting the calf muscles to the heel).
- Dull or burning pain
- Stiffness of lower limbs and foot may also be present
- Pain Location:
- Back and inside aspect of heel
- Medial longitudinal arch
- Painful with first few steps in morning
- Painful at days end in severe cases
- Painful with first steps of run
- Painful during first 5-10 minutes of run
- Pain worsens after run completed
- Painful with prolonged standing especially standing in hard shoes on hard floor
- A full length, multidensity functional custom made orthotic can provide soft cushioning for the heel and firm support for the medial longitudinal arch and perimeter of the heel to control the plantar heel pad.
- Functional custom made orthotics with temporary heel lifts
- Functional custom made orthotics with medial wedging